- Distance from from Yerevan 139km
- Distance from from Crossway Camping 18.6km
Zorats church was dedicated in 1303 by archbishop Stepanos- a grandson of Prince Tarsaiyich Orbelian, whose castle was in Areni. At the time, Armenia was a tributary of the Mongols (ca. 1242-1344), Armenian lords and troops requisitioned to fight against the Mamluks and renegade Turko-tribes vying for the kingdom’s rich lands.
Zorats church was created so that warriors sitting on their horses could receive the sacrament and the blessing of the Church before going to battle. The blessing of troops and their horses before battle were commonplace, but no other church in Armenia was built exactly for that purpose, and with the idea of bringing both steed and soldier into the outdoor sanctuary. The church was extensively renovated in the 20th century and excavation of the surrounding area is ongoing.
For more places to see in Vayots dzor: Places to see in Vayots Dzor